Cheers to my darling Mum!

 My darling Mum died peacefully at home yesterday (New Years Eve) at about 6am. 

It wasn't quite how I had imagined it. Dad and I were asleep, Dad in the same room as Mum, me less than 3 metres away and I heard a gentle knock on the door. Alison from Marie Curie had been with us a few nights before and I knew she only knocked if there was something wrong. 

I also knew from the gentleness of this knock that she was going to tell me Mum had died. Those dreaded words we knew were coming but never wanted to hear. Alison had woken me so I could tell Dad. Dad's first reaction through howls of pain was exactly the same as my quiet thought had been. 'I wasn't there. I wanted to be there, I should have been there'. He was there. He was in bed right next to her but we weren't awake and holding her hand. 

Truth is we had started the day time vigil but we didn't think she was going to die that quickly. And we were both knackered. We had been awake for over 48 hours because Mum had been so anxious and distressed until the syringe driver was inserted at noon the day before. As soon as Alison arrived we had gone to bed to sleep. 

To wind back a bit;

When Dad was in hospital having his hip replaced Mum deteriorated quickly. She stopped being able to walk unaided and was starting to be incoherent and engage less. I was extraordinarily worried she may die before Dad got home. He was discharged as quickly as possible. He was home with Mum where he belonged. Wish number 1 achieved. 

I had picked Dad up from hospital and talked him through Mum's deterioration both physically and mentally. That evening after I got Mum to bed I asked Dad whether I had prepared him well enough. He sat with his head in his hands and through tears said 'I didn't expect your Mum to be as bad as that'. 

Over the next few days as we got into a new rhythm of care, we had a morning and evening visit for Dad, 2 visits a day for Mum, as well as visits from the District Nurse, the palliative care nurse, the doctor and folk from Marie Curie UK. 

We moved from Dad and I caring for Mum together, to me caring for Dad and Mum together. 

Mum had made it clear she wanted to last until Christmas Day, see all of her children, by which she meant, me, the two grandchildren, and her five great grandchildren  

As the days got closer we weren't sure if she was going to make it. She lost mobility, moving in less than 4 days from walking with support, to walking with a frame, to moving from chair to bed on a glider commode and getting anxious and panicky in the standing up, moving round and getting down.

She was eating less and less, yet getting more and more of a dead-weight. Carers are not allowed to lift someone and so I was lifting her. When I asked how we were supposed to manage this I was told that all of the equipment required Mum to be able to use her upper body which she couldn't.

Our options were starting to look like a) I do my back in and we risked dropping her (we came scarily close a couple of times) b) she wore a pad and was moved to bed or c) she was taken to a community hospital or hospice. 

Mum wanted to stay at home. She has always hated hospitals. But we had agreed right at the beginning of her plan that if she absolutely needed to then she would go. Dad and I agreed to stick our heads in the sand until after Christmas.

Each day Mum and I would look across the photos in the lounge and talk about the different people in them. As time went on I did most of the talking and Mum would stroke the faces with love in her eyes. On Christmas Eve we think she may have had a bleed or a mini-stroke. She couldn't remember my name and she couldn't coordinate her left leg any longer. She called me Sally, George and then settled on Father Christmas with a smile. 

Christmas Day: her goal was achieved. All her children were there and precious memories made. Wish number 2 achieved.  

As the children left Mum put her head in her hands and slept for the rest of the day. That evening with the help of a neighbour and the carer we got Mum changed and ready for bed. At pill time, she took them and swallowed one by one (I was astute at checking by now), took a gulp of water and then spat all the pills and the water out as hard as she could. As she did so she smiled with mischief and defiance. We tried again. They weren't going in. At the time that felt a bit scary. Now without the worry of her not having the pills, that is a moment to laugh at and hold in my heart forever. 

Mum didn't get out of bed the next couple of days but she was calm. Dad and I spent a lot of time in talking to her as she floated in and out of sleep. I spent an hour or so talking through the amazing memories I have and kept saying 'that is why you are the best mum'. As I left the room with tears rolling she said loudly 'I am the best Mum'. Another moment to treasure.

28th, 29th Mum was in a lot of distress. It was awful to see. We had nurses and doctors called in through the night. She was in a hospital bed with side bars. There was a gap at the bottom of the bed. I spent the night lying on the floor with my feet in that part of the bed to try and stop her getting out of/her legs falling out of bed. All the time she was calling in distress. She would say often I want to die, I want to die. I kept telling her that her job was done, that Dad and I would look after each other and we had people to support us. I told her that her legacy was enormous, and that we loved her, we loved her, we loved her.  

Finally after what felt like a lifetime at midday on the 30th she had a syringe driver inserted with pain, anti-anxiety and anti-sickness drugs. She was rolled onto her side. She went to sleep and she didn't move again. Dad, my cousin and I took it in turns to sit with Mum until Alison from Marie Curie arrived.  I was so exhausted that I briefly went in and sat with Mum told her I loved her before going went to bed expecting to wake up and start again. 

Instead I got that gentle knock on the door and the news we were expecting, braced for, but nonetheless still ill-prepared for.

This last few weeks has been a lot. It has been tough physically and emotionally. Tired and emotional  doesn't even describe it. Mum was a beautiful woman. She held us well and taught us a lot. It has been a privilege to be with my folks since her diagnosis in August. We have made a lot of memories. And we have received outstanding help and support from brilliant people in a health and care system that is stretched and fragmented at best, and completely broken at worst.

So here we are at both the end and a new beginning. A new chapter where Dad and I will have to learn new rules and create some new traditions. 

All I can hope is that we take that learning and the courage, love, gutsiness, humour and kindness of Mum - Margaret - into the next stage of our lives. 

We drank *a few* glasses to toast Mum last night. We received endless messages of love and support which comforted and consoled us. We laughed and we cried. Dad said she had to die yesterday as she wouldn't have wanted to be alive when we aren't in the EU! 

Mum may not be physically with us any longer, but what she taught us by example will remain. 

A big cheers to Margaret Ann Blake, my lovely lovely Mum. 

There are some earlier blogs about living with my folks since my Mum's cancer diagnosis in August through to the time she timed

Comments

  1. I’m sitting here quietly weeping whilst reading your blog. Reminding me of my step dads final days at home. You couldn’t have done more to create those final last memories. for tour darling Mum, your Dad and your family. Thank you for writing so honestly about it Simon. Sending much love. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simon, in time you will, like me, be able to look back on this precious time with your lovely mum, and know that you have done all you could and more to help her to the best ending possible. You, your dad and mum worked as a team clearly fuelled by the utmost love and respect for one another, and that, my dear friend, is the priceless gift that will give you the strength to carry on, just like you have since the tragic loss of your brother Andrew. We went to mum (and dads) grave yesterday, our new tradition, hip flasks and cheesy foil new year balloons in hand, sang Auld Lang Syne and wept, then laughed at the thought of her last words ‘don’t forget to take those sausage rolls out of the freezer for the (sheltered housing), party’!
    Sending you love and strength x

    ReplyDelete
  3. A brave and tender piece of writing Simon. What tremendous attention and dedication you and your Dad gave to your mum, supported by those caring professionals. This was so moving to read on the first day of 2021 and feel connected to all humanity . Thank you and I hope you can rest now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crying as I read this simon sharing your pain as we said goodbye to my precious mother in law on xmas eve. Surrounded by love and care at home. Maybe she waited til you were all safely asleep before she went- made it easier for her to go. Sending love and big hugs to you and your family xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simon thank you for sharing such a moving & personal experience which was an honour to read because you expressed yourself & what has happened with both love & some humour even though my guess is that the latter is the last thing you may be feelings right now ? Having lost both parents in different ways a decade ago, the memory of what you have so eloquently described is still with me albeit the pain associated with it has now gone. So even though I have never met you, may I wish you & your Dad all the best for the coming days, weeks & months; as you say, you will have to get used to a new way of doing things without someone you both loved so dearly, albeit you will have one another for support and comfort. Whilst I imagine the pain of your loss may weigh heavy in your heart for some time to come, being honest and more open to talking about grief is something that could help us all, if only we choose to do so ? Best wishes for 2021 to you and your Dad I'll be thinking of you and wishing you positive mental strength 💜

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our thoughts are with you after such a heart- wrenching time. From experience with my own parents, I know that all you did for your mum and the conversations you had in those dark weeks, will somehow comfort you later. It must have been a great comfort to her to have you with her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first reaction is to say, what a shitter, but no, your mum is now at peace.

    No more pain, no more stress and worry for her.

    Those memories you talked off, that's your mum and she will always be a part of you as long as you share those memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah I’ve watched your journey, lots of memories of my own mums experience of cancer. In 2020 I watched my wee pal who was 8 (Sol), move into his next world. His brain cancer and his never ending strength whilst he went through what at times was utter hell. The lessons he taught me about resilience and that we are all here for different amounts of time for a reason stay with me forever. I wish you peace whilst you take your time to find your way through these hard early days of loss and grief ❤️ Leanne x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah I’ve watched your journey, lots of memories of my own mums experience of cancer. In 2020 I watched my wee pal who was 8 (Sol), move into his next world. His brain cancer and his never ending strength whilst he went through what at times was utter hell. The lessons he taught me about resilience and that we are all here for different amounts of time for a reason stay with me forever. I wish you peace whilst you take your time to find your way through these hard early days of loss and grief ❤️ Leanne x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sending love and prayers Simon. The grief never quite leaves, but the pain lessens and the memories become stronger and clearer . Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a tribute, what a blog. Thanks for sharing something so personal, I am sure it helps others to read about the reality, which is at times very difficult but also incredible moments to treasure. To die surrounded by love, as she clearly did, is all anyone would want, and well done to you and your dad for being so supportive. Wishing you well for the times ahead and the strange and unique journey of grief at the loss of your lovely mum.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very articulate and moving considering the grief you must be experiencing. What a wonderful mum you had and what a great support her family would have been to her. Thoughts are with you all at this time

    ReplyDelete
  13. A big cheers to your mother indeed. How wonderful to love and be loved so.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why I am binning the concept of healthy conflict

Excellence not Empire #renamehonours