2018: 10 things I am grateful for


Every year I spend a bit of time reflecting about the things I am grateful for over the past year, and think about anything I want to carry into the year ahead, or indeed anything I want to jettison. Normally I write them in the back of a diary. This year i have read a few blogs which gave me some useful insight and learning so thought I would share. So here, in no particular order, 10 things I am grateful for in 2018.  
  1. Running – one of my New Year’s Resolutions for the last five years has been to keep my running fitness up all year round which I have never managed before. Giving up smoking aside this is probably the first year I have kept any NY resolutions ever. Highlights include: completing the 1000 mile running challenge; getting new PBs in 5k, 10k and half marathon races. Next year my aim is to beat my marathon PB.
  2. Jake Shears - I may be 44 but this is a crush that is both serious and enduring. A signed book, a hug and a photo was special. Beaten only by Jake replying to my tweet asking if anyone had concert tickets to sell:  He had put my name + 1 on the door. That crush is definitely coming with me into 2019.
  3. Horsing – my friend Tory and I shared a horse, Ren, for the last 9 years and in November she had to be put to sleep after a short illness. She was the kindest soul and it was heart-breaking. However I am ridiculously grateful for the 9 years we had with her: we were lucky in that we had a great summer and competed in our first two British Eventing (BE) affiliated events. The first we came 11th, the second 3rd.  I was interviewed about my first BE experience here: https://www.britisheventinglife.com/articles/getting-started-in-eventing 
  4. Trip to Auschwitz – I was privileged to join a Holocaust Education Trust Lessons from Auschwitz in November. Standing in the vast space where such atrocities took place less than a century ago was chilling. As the world seems increasingly divided it feels important that we understand what can happen when we allow hatred to go unchecked. I wrote about it here http://simonablake36.blogspot.com/
  5. New job @MHFAEngland – In October I started my new role as CEO at Mental Health First Aid England. I have had a great first 10 weeks – exciting to be both part of the organisation, and the wider mental health community. I really enjoyed my Mental Health First Aid training. I only wish it had been available 20 plus years ago!
  6. Food, weight and health – along with my running NY resolution I determined that I would have much better control over the food I eat, how much alcohol I drink and my weight. Normally I do quite well from January -  April. In recent years I have been training for a marathon. Then I put on at least a stone through the year, and have to start all over again in January. With some help, steely determination and self-forgiveness when I slip up I reduced my ‘convenient and comfort food’ and alcohol a lot this year. I am excited to go into Christmas feeling healthy and about the same weight I was in April. This is a long journey and I am grateful for the help, challenge and encouragement this year.  
  7. Stonewall – I am privileged to be deputy Chair of Stonewall. I am proud of all Stonewall does day in day out to protect and promote the rights of all LGBT people.It has been a tough year for trans people. The consultation on the Gender Recognition Act triggering a relentlessly hostile environment for trans people who were constantly vilified in the press. As a cis man I am proud to stand in solidarity with trans people. Our Chair, Jan Gooding emphasised in her end of year Review Stonewall is there for everyone  - the L+G+B+T ++++. We enter 2019 as determined as ever.
  8. Dolly dog – a major love of my life - this year she had some pretty big surgery for a ruptured ligament. Carrying 22kg of dog up our stairs for 6 weeks appears to be worth it: signs are the operation has worked. Thank you vets: you are genius.
  9. My partner, my mum and dad, family and friends - They all rock and I am grateful for their time, love and support. Even when they tell me things I don’t want to hear.  And we welcomed baby Alexander, my first, and therefore currently my favourite great nephew, into the world. 
  10. Holidays – we often say we are ‘just going to Cornwall’ and the just needs removing because truth is Trebarwith Strand is one of my favourite places in the world. We were lucky to spend a fair bit of time there this year. We were also lucky to go to the health retreat in Thailand again. This year I learned about and practised walking meditation which suits me. And I did a family holiday in France. First family holiday for 30 plus years. 13 of us across 4 generations. Lots of laughter and it seems the washing up will always cause arguments!  
Have a great break and I hope 2019 brings you lots of joy, strength and experiences to be grateful for.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I am binning the concept of healthy conflict

Excellence not Empire #renamehonours

Cheers to my darling Mum!